Thursday, December 04, 2008

Mobile phones on aeroplanes

Last month I spotted the WIRED burning question: Why Can't I Use My Cell Phone on a Plane? Answer: Because in the US the mobile networks don't like it. I'm puzzled... So why are the Air Hostesses or stewards, acting as if they are the police force (which I think it's a general thing, and that's why they're called stewards and pursers :because they purse their lips). And why does this effect us in South Africa? I'm not exactly sure but it is the law so you better listen. Read more from the August edition here and tell me why none of the SA airlines allow it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan Strong said...

I read this article when it came out and it shined some light on the subject. Please read:
http://www.economist.com/node/2559174?story_id=2559174

1:24 am  
Blogger Alan Levin said...

Hi Ethan, yes I had seen the Economist article although it's worth noting that was written in 2004! Even in those days the technology worked although it did have some concerns (albeit repudiable), subsequently the techno's resolved the so called concerns yet still 7 years later there are virtually no airlines that have changed their policy on this. Most don't even allow 'flight mode', We now fly in a state of police anarchy where hostesses are called attendants as they are expected to act as gung-ho police rather than the old style of service oriented waitering.

9:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home